Friday, July 8, 2016

Toughbook CF-20 with Linux


Toughbook CF-20 arrived and no Windows on this one. Installed Ubuntu 16.04 to test latest hardware with latest software and it worked.

First some quick specifications of CF-20:
  • Intel® Core™ m5 vPro™ processor 
  • 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD hard disk
  • 10.1" digitizer touch screen with 1920x1200 resolution
  • Awesome amount of interfaces
  • LTE module (1199:9041 Sierra Wireless, Inc.)
USB device ID's for touch and LTE:

ID 5986:0656 Acer, Inc
ID 5986:0689 Acer, Inc
ID 056a:0148 Wacom Co., Ltd
ID 0eef:c066 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd 

ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR mySmartUSB light
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:2744 S

ID 1199:9041 Sierra Wireless, Inc.

First impressions

First this device is small. Almost too small to do every day computing (which is mainly development work for me). 10.1" display with 1900 x 1200 resolution makes it pretty small print. Zooming comes in handy almost in every program. I've defaulted DPI value a bit up to make menus and icons bit larger.

I will head up to LTE configuration and update here how it goes. First Panasonic Toughbook with MicroSIM on LTE module.

UPDATE: LTE Works just fine. Network manager tweak applied and everything works.

I would say that Panasonic Toughbooks have been one of the most Linux friendly computers which I've played with. 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. First information regarding Linux compatibility I could find.

I have two question:
- Can the SSD be swapped? I already contacted Panasonic support, but all they could tell me it is "not user serviceable". I understand their is no SATA dock like on the CF-19, but can the m.2 SSD be replaced at all or is it soldered in?

- How many RAM slots are there? And can the RAM be upgraded?

Thank you again for your blog post!

PPaFin said...

I've swapped M2 installed SSD. It's possible, but that handy as external HD bay like other toughbooks might have. I think there is one RAM slow free.

Anonymous said...

Hey PPaFin,

good post! Since I mainly use Linux, it gave me the confidence to buy a CF-20.

Does the pen input work for you? On mine it doesn't work, not even on Windows. Since I bought the device second hand I'm wondering whether I got a broken device or whether mine simply does not have that specific feature. Thanks!

Greetings
Shaun

PPaFin said...

Hi,

I've been using those tablets and CF-20 quite extensively with Pen and they all work. You could have an issue with pen model vs touch display type. Pens do not work across devices sometimes, even they look same.

Check that you got right pen model, thats my first advice. I have tablets with grey pen and same looking pen with black color does not work. If I recall right, CF20 should have black one.